Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Scream, You Scream

We all scream for ICE CREAM! Summer is coming to an end, so I had to celebrate one last summer treat with my students. In Science, we have been studying about States of Change (solid, liquid, and gas). I remembered making ice cream in a bag during High School and knew it would be PERFECT! This was so easy, but the kids LOVED it and of course thought I was the coolest! Smile We also made a mixture (a substance that can be separated) out of cheerios, pretzels, M & M’s, peanuts, and raisins. We even had cookies to show a chemical change!

Ice Cream in a Bag

image

1 gallon and quart size Ziploc bags

Ice (to fill half of the gallon bag)

Rock Salt

Chocolate Milk

1 teaspoon of sugar

1) Fill the gallon bag half way with ice and sprinkle with Rock salt.

2) Put quart size bag inside of the gallon bag and pour chocolate milk about half way.

3) Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar into the milk.

4) Now it is time to SHAKE! You have to shake for about 5 to 10 mins. Of course this was the kids favorite part! Magically the LIQUID will turn into a SOLID!!

So easy and YUMMY! Check out some of the pictures on my school website (click pictures).